Thursday, January 29, 2009

1.29.09, Exit Ticket

Today's speaker, Scott, shared a remarkable program at BSD. I am excited to share his information, web site, etc. with our own video productions instructor. Our own instructor at THS is gifted and has high aspirations for his students, and I could invision his program growing and incorporating some of the aspects of the BSD program.

As we sat in groups this evening and discussed our readings it became apparent to me that I have some concerns about where technology is heading, seemingly unchecked at times (mostly). I found myself stating that I am wary of the future - the future in which technology dominates our lives, in and outside of the schoolhouse. Maybe it is the images formed years ago as I read Orwelle's "1984". Probably unreasonable, but profound for me. It was comforting, however, that others in the group understood my point.

Looking forward to next week's class.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your honest comment in the last paragraph. It's a very forthright and pertinent concern. Funny, in a comment to another one of your classmates who was caught in the dilemma of too much structure vs. turning kids loose, I suggest what if we took off all the barriers for kids, give them all the tools for independent learning with teachers truly at their sides to support and guide their learning for five straight years, where do you think we'd be? I have a feeling we'd be surprised at the results. What do yo think?

    ReplyDelete